This was never going to be any ordinary TISC and scenes at Salgado Filho International Airport (POA) in Porto Alegre late yesterday evening confirmed as much as local TISC fans and officials heralded the arrival of Antarctic delegation, lead by Tristan Icecapade and Eve Snowflake.
The public lined the airport in throngs, searching for every available space to catch a rare glimpse of the Antarctic natives.
Tristan and Eve have made the trip to Brazil to mark the occasion of TISC’s 10th edition Jubilee and also as a goodwill gesture to help further heal the rift that has divided TISC and WINTERFEST for so long. Part 1 of that healing process has already taken place, when TISC envoy Tim Scidmore made the trip south to visit WINTERFEST and take his place in the live show as special guest of honor. There was also a very nice surprise for Mr. Scidmore as WINTERFEST officials awarded him the honor of officially opening WINTERFEST VI, the final edition of the music festival.
A jam-packed schedule awaits the Antarctic duo and after giving a quick interview with local reporters and posing for some photos, Tristan and Eve were whisked away in a limo where they went on a sight-seeing trip to some prominent locations around Porto Alegre. Later they were transported by luxury helicopter to the city of Gramado, their base for much of the duration of their stay in Brazil and retired to the Villa Bella Hotel.
Tristan and Eve would have spent most of the early part of Monday recuperating from their trip before being treated to a sightseeing tour of Gramado. In between they were invited to have lunch with the Mayor of Gramado before resuming their tour of the city.
Later this evening, the penguin guests will attend a Gala evening back at the Villa Bella Hotel, all compliments of the TISC organising committee.
The majority of Tristan and Eve’s day tomorrow consists of greeting and team building with their teammates from Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan and Poland. I am sure the conversation as well as the drinks will be flowing by then!
Apart from Tristan and Eve, Antarctica has sent quite a big delegation to Brazil for this special occasion. Official delegation is being consisted of 5 high ranked officials and jury members, 20 journalists, 3 cooks, 4 guides, 12 bodyguards, 15 pilots and other transport personnel, 10 singers and a big team of 200 cheerleaders. Antarctica’s visit to the Jubilee will not be solely official however, as it has been reported that around 2500 music fans will make the trip to the Grand Final over the course of this week. We wish them all the best for their first TISC experience!
Meanwhile, TISC organizers were slightly puzzled by Tim Scidmore’s absence as he was expected to make the trip back with Eve and Tristan yesterday. However, our Antarctic friends informed us that Tim enjoyed himself so much at WINTERFEST, that he wished to extend his stay in Antarctica a bit longer and to do some more (
drinking) exploring while there.
If you want to follow Eve and Tristan’s TISC adventure, here is a brief itinerary of what they will be getting up to during the week:
- Monday, April 23rd – Gramado sightseeing tour – Lunch with the Gramado Mayor – Gramado sightseeing tour (second part) – Gramado Gala evening
- Tuesday, April 24th – Team building with teammates (Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan and Poland) in Gramado Iceland
- Wednesday, April 25th – Gramado – Porto Alegre – Rio de Janeiro flights, followed by sightseeing in Rio de Janeiro (including Copacabana Tour)
- Thursday, April 26th – Official meeting with TISC representatives and the Organizing Committee – Lunch with the Rio de Janeiro Mayor – Barra Olympic Park Tour – TISC Gala Event
- Friday, April 27th – Rio de Janeiro Zoo – Opening Ceremony
- Saturday, April 28th – Grand Final (including WINTERFEST winner presentation)
- Sunday, April 29th – Closing Ceremony
- Monday, April 30th – Rio de Janeiro – Antarctica (direct flight)